Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A few updates


Desert Island, the much-lauded Brooklyn-based comics shop, currently has one copy of Pipe Dope #1 available for sale! If you happen to be in the New York, New York area, I'd be forever grateful if you'd buy it from them. Provided it sells within the next month, they'll take more copies from me, and I would love, love, love it if Danger Digest comic books could become a mainstay in that esteemed establishment. Click here to scope the store's website.

In other news, WonderCon happened this past weekend. I sort of promised an update last week, but the truth is, there's not a whole lot to say. I was there on Friday and Saturday and had a great time both days, but this sorta show doesn't get the ink flowing through my veins in quite the same way as something like APE or last month's L.A. Zine Fest does. All the same, I caught up with some great folks, got Pipe Dope into still more hands, and scored some sweet finds out the 50-cent back-issue boxes. (Sebastian O, anybody?) I moderated a film-industry-related panel discussion on Friday, at which a HYDRA agent stepped to the microphone to ask a question. That was pretty fantastic. Also, I ended Friday by sitting in on Scott Dunbier's panel about IDW's Artist's Edition books; Dunbier tossed around bags of potato chips and talked about great artists, and if that's not a solid way to end a day at a convention, I don't know what is. Then, I started Saturday by attending a spotlight panel about veteran editor Bob Schreck, and I could listen to him rap about working with Kevin Smith and Frank Miller 'till the end of time.

Now then, saving the best for last: You may have heard (or noticed along the left-hand side of this page) that Sparkplug Books currently has a fundraiser going on. (You can click here for all the details.) Sparkplug comics are an endless source of inspiration to me, and the publisher's founder--the late, great Dylan Williams--was, is and always shall be a real hero of mine. If you've got even just a dollar to spare, the Sparkplug team could seriously use it, and I promise you they'd spend it well. Here's a video, offering a bit more background:



Comics!

2 comments:

  1. hey, just catching up on this now...but if the bk shop still has it i will buy it from them, tho not exactly within a month i will tell them i know of more people who are looking for it, and then make some more people want to look for it.

    will look in next few days.

    -Manzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manzo! As always, your support is greatly appreciated. You're too good to me...

      Delete