Thursday, October 13, 2011

PIPE DOPE #129


First          Previous          Next


A couple of months back, I picked up all eight issues of Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz's Elektra Assassin. Reading them was like having a fever dream on the astral plane--there are a hell of a lot of ideas at play in that miniseries, and I doubt I'll ever wrap my head around all of them. However, I have been thinking a lot about the lettering (by Jim Novak in issues 1-7 and Gaspar Saladino in issue 8), and today's panel struck me as a fitting opportunity to play around with breaking up the text in a similar fashion. (A Google Image search should provide a rough idea of what I'm talking about for anyone who hasn't read the miniseries.)

Pipe Dope's all about trying out new (for me, at least) things.

2 comments:

  1. Another exceptional strip. I agree with you on the importance of experimentation, even though I haven't yet read that old Elektra series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Neil! "Assassin" is the kinda crazy that certainly won't be everyone's cup o' tea (it's written by Frank Miller, after all), but the mad energy on each and every page made it more than worth the price of admission, as far as my own wallet is concerned.

    ReplyDelete